A while back I was asked to create a logo for a non-profit called Rise Up Arts.
I was given some guidance, some ideas, and a few references.
When ever I start on a project, I like to ask those I’m working with to look around at the sort of logos and designs they like. The board of directors for this org did just that.
While I no longer have the original examples they sent me, they gave me a distinct impression. They wanted a vector image, and they wanted a flame, and originally, I was under the impression they wanted hands.
So, I sat down and did a quick concept sketch:
It wasn’t quite what they wanted. It was too rough, too detailed, and I got the feeling that they couldn’t see the final piece through the rough sketch.
So I tried two more, with some color variation:
They liked the heart in the flame, but not the tendrils of the flame of the first of the second set, and they didn’t really like the heart of the second logo of the second set.
They sent me a few more examples (again, I didn’t save the, unfortunately) so I tried once more, and decided to just go in with a vector image rather than continue to get the look right in Photoshop.
I eliminated the hands, and we did quite a few tweaks.
Eventually, we narrowed it down, and I did a couple more versions with text and different color options.
The final result was this version, which I later modified for one of their events.